marichyasana c-learn the easy way to do the challenging pose.
Updated: Apr 15, 2020
About Marichyasana C :
Sage Marichi is Son of Lord Brahma, Sage marichi was one among the saptharishis and some times referred to as Manasaputra.
Lord Brahma the creator of the universe needed a few people who can be held responsible for the creation of the remaining universe. He created Prajapatis who became the father of the human race. Since this prajapatis were created from his mind they are called “ Manasaputras” and sage marichi is one of them.
Marichyasana is a pose that is done seated on Mat with one leg folded and other outstretched. Marichyasana in Ashtanga yoga is practiced with vinyasa and the variation is called marichyasana A,B,C,D. Each done in a sequence and one can attempt Marichyasana C after mastering A and B sequence. This pose is done by twisting the torso which gives a good amount of pressure on abdominal organs and activates them to work effectively. The twisting effect is also known to activate the jewel of chakra called Manipura chakra. The Manipura chakra when activated motivates you and propels you forward.
How to Do :
1. Sit on the mat with both legs stretched straight in front.
2. Bend your right leg at knees and place the sole of right foot flat on the floor. The right shin of the right leg must be perpendicular to the floor and the right calf is touching the right thigh. Place the right heel near the perineum. The inner side of the right heel should touch the inner side of the left thigh.
3. Exhale, turn the spine about 90 degrees to the right, so that the chest goes beyond the bent right thigh and bring the left arm over the left thigh.
4. Try placing the left shoulder beyond the right knee and stretch left arm out forwards by turning the spine furthermore to the right and stretching the region at the back of the right floating ribs. Breathe normally here.
5. With an exhalation, wrap the left arm around the right knee and place the right palm behind the waist.
6. Exhale deeply and bring the right arm at the back of the waist and clasp both hands firmly holding the fingers or hold the wrist of the right hand if possible.
7. Stay in this pose for 20 seconds or a minute, then release the hands come back to dandasana and repeat the sequence on the other side.
Benefits of Marichyasana:
1. Strengthens the core and gives a good amount of flexibility to the spine which helps release the back pain.
2. The pressure on abdominal organs helps in activating organs associated with digestion and metabolic activities.
3. This pose gives a good range of motion for shoulder muscles.
4. Works on core and facilitates fat burning around the waist.
5. Improves posture and breathing.
People with spine and neck issues must avoid doing this pose.
Modification of Pose:
Marichyasana C can be challenging to many especially for beginners who lack flexibility. After my exploration I got this video of Lois Steinberg who is an Iyengar yoga teacher and from her years of experience she is seen delineating this pose to all categories of people like young and old, people of different sizes and level of flexibility.
I hope this will definitely help you to decipher the method and possibly do the pose with ease and perfection. Watch full video and practice regularly.
" Calm mind brings inner strength and self-confidence, so that’s very important for good health”.