Amazing benefits of bow pose- dhanurasana
Updated: Dec 3, 2020
what is dhanurasana:
Dhanurasana is a Sanskrit word and English translation is broken down as dhanu which means bow and asana is posture. This pose looks like a bow placed on the floor and strings at the top.
As when the pose is done the body lies on the floor and the ankles are held by both hands and pulled up to give this shape. This pose is recommended for those who want to lose weight.
The pressure on the abdomen activates the abdominal organs and boosts the metabolism which in turn helps in reducing belly fat when practiced regularly with other asanas.
Preparation for doing dhanurasana:
As known before attempting any pose we must keep our stomach empty. It is always guided to maintain a gap of a minimum of 4 hours before doing this pose. You can do this first thing in the morning or late in the evening based on feasibility.
Warm-up your muscles adequately by doing few rounds of Suryanamaskar.
How to do Dhanurasana step by step by step:
1. Lie down flat on the abdomen and keep face downwards on the mat.
2. Exhale and grab the right ankle with the right hand and the left ankle with the left hand. Breathe normally
3. After 2 breaths exhale completely and draw the legs up by raising the knees off the floor and at the same time lift the chest off the floor. Here the arms and hands work like a bow and string to appear like a bent bow.
4. Raise the head and pull it as far back as possible and only the abdomen must bear the body weight.
5. Stay in this position for 20 seconds or as much long as possible based on your capacity.
6. Slowly release the hand and lower the legs and upper body to rest on the floor.
Avoid if you have high blood pressure or low blood pressure.
Do not attempt this pose if you have severe injuries in the neck or lower back.
Beginners must do this pose under the guidance of an experienced yoga teacher.
Modification method for dhanurasana:
This pose can be done using a yoga strap by wrapping the feet at the center and holding the ends with both hands or people who have flexibility issues can try Eka pada dhanurasana or one-legged bow pose. The usage of the strap helps to get a better hold and makes it easy to retain the pose.
Benefits of Dhanurasana:
Bow pose is known to give relief to a person suffering from slip disc.
This pose tones and activates the abdominal organs.
Relieves backache and brings flexibility to back muscles.
The stretch when balancing on the abdomen helps in circulation.
This pose enables for kidneys to function properly.
The backbend in this pose gives a good stretch to the lungs which helps in relieving the breathing issues for asthmatics.