Ardha Baddha Paschimottanasana: The English translation of “Ardha baddha Paschimottanasana” is Ardha=Half Lotus,Baddha = Baddha is Bound or held,Paschima = Paschima is West or back of our body ,uttanasana is intense stretch.
This pose is one of the Forward bending poses done while seated on Mat. This pose is known to have a powerful effect on liver and spleen and also gives good amount of flexibility for Knee,Hip and Shoulder joints. The position of heels also helps the digestive system
How to do:
1. Sit on the mat with both legs extended in seated staff pose or Dandasana. Place your right ankle on the left thigh which is half lotus position. Heel must be moving towards navel ,the ankle on crease of your pelvic region and your right knee on floor and as close possible to your left knee.
2. On an exhalation twist the torso towards right and rotate the right shoulder inward and reach the right forearm behind the waist to grab the toes of the right foot with fingers of right hand .
3. Bend forward and hold the left foot or left big toe and your forehead is touching the left knee.
4. Hold the pose for few breaths and repeat the same on other side.
1. Activates Liver and kidneys
2. Gives relief from Constipation.
3. Massages and Tones Abdiminal organs.
4. Improves blood circulation for spinal nerves.
5. Gives good amount of stretch for back muscles.
6. Boosts Flexibility for Knee,Hip and Shoulder joints.